Re: [Tails-dev] [review'n'merge: 1.2.3] bugfix/8571-fix-mac-…

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [review'n'merge: 1.2.3] bugfix/8571-fix-mac-spoof-panic-mode
On 06/01/15 18:41, anonym wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Apparently our MAC spoofing feature's panic mode is quite broken. Please
> review and merge the bugfix/8571-fix-mac-spoof-panic-mode branch into
> stable and devel. Before that you may want to have a look at comment 1
> in the ticket and agree that commit 54a80db is a good idea.

I've also pushed commit 8156352. Without this, I can reproduce the error
(notification not shown) about half of the times.

1. Boot Tails (any build should do, I did it with 1.2.2) with some
   rootpw set.
2. Switch to some VT from Tails Greeter
3. Login as root
4. Run the following to simulate a MAC spoofing error:
       mv /usr/bin/macchanger /usr/bin/macchanger.real
       ln -s /bin/true /usr/bin/macchanger
5. Switch back to Tails Greeter and login
6. Look out for the "Network card $NIC disabled"

With commit 8156352 the notification was shown 10 out of 10 times, which
seems like an improvement. :)

Cheers!