Re: [Tails-ux] Internal HD install

Author: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Internal HD install
Peter N. Glaskowsky:
>> From: sajolida <sajolida@???>
>>
>> Regarding the virtual keyboard, are you referring to the usual virtual
>> keyboard from Tails:
>>
>> https://tails.boum.org/doc/encryption_and_privacy/virtual_keyboard
>>
>> Or to something else?
>
> Yes, I think that’s what it was. For small tablets, a very compact keyboard layout (like the typical Android or iOS keyboards) is extremely important. I see that Florence has a keyboard layout editor, though I haven’t tried it. If Tails sticks with Florence, it would be worth someone seeing just how compact a layout can be created for use in the Greeter.

Ok, so I created a ticket to monitor the progress in GNOME on having an
integrated screen keyboard:

https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/8444

But I think that on this front we will have to wait for GNOME to do the
work themselves.

I created another one to try to configure better Florence for small screens:

https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/8445

This is something you can help with right now:

- What exactly needs to be improved upon? What do you mean by "compact"?
Be less wide? Have less keys? Bigger keys?
- Could you try to play with the preferences of Florence (right-click →
Preferences) and see if anything there can be helpful. For example the
"focus zoom" parameter or the "keyboard font" or the "compact" layout.

Then add your findings as comments to that ticket please.

>> Regarding the size of UI elements, did you try the accessibility
>> features of GNOME: Applications → System Tools → Preferences → System
>> Settings → Universal Access → Text size?
>
> I haven’t tried that.

That's now:

https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/8446

Feel free to comment on the ticket.

I'm happy to see this moving forward. At least now we have *some* clear
things to investigate.

--
sajolida