[Tails-dev] Git/Redmine integration: fixing a regression wit…

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-dev
New-Topics: [Tails-dev] fix-committed issues [was: Git/Redmine integration: fixing a regression with new goodies?]
Subject: [Tails-dev] Git/Redmine integration: fixing a regression with new goodies?
Hi,

as can be seen on https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/8288, the way
we've been using "Closes: #NNNN" in commit messages doesn't work well
with how the Redmine/Git integration is configured on labs.r.n: once
Redmine has noticed such a commit, it closes #NNNN as resolved.
Most of the times, this is *not* what we want, as the branch still
needs to be reviewed, merged and then released. So, in the current
state of things, this is creating a mess in our workflow.

We can't configure this on a per-project (e.g. Tails) basis, and I'd
rather not change the meaning of closes:#NNNN globally on the Redmine
instance that hosts us.

So, I've added support for two new keywords, so that the whole thing
better matches our workflow, and works for us instead of against us:

* "will-fix: #NNNN" will flag #NNNN as "In Progress"

This keyword SHOULD be used only in topic branches, or when
committing directly in the master branch. (It simply replaces the
good old "closes: #NNNN", adding just a little bit of automation
on top.)

* "fix-committed: #NNNN" will flag #NNNN as "Fix committed"

This keyword MAY be used in the commit message when merging
a branch with --no-ff. It MUST not be used anywhere else. If the
reviewer+merger chooses not to use it, then they MUST manually flag
the ticket as "Fix committed", just like we've been doing
until now.

It seems to work, see e.g. https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/8359.

So, if you folks are happy enough with that, I can encode this into
[[contribute/*]] (merge policy, Redmine doc, whatever).