Re: [Tails-dev] [review'n'merge:1.2.1] feature/7740-remove-t…

Author: Jacob Appelbaum
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [review'n'merge:1.2.1] feature/7740-remove-truecrypt
On 12/4/14, sajolida <sajolida@???> wrote:
> intrigeri:
>> anonym wrote (30 Nov 2014 22:38:25 GMT) :
>>> However, in the TrueCrypt documentation we have an info bubble saying:
>>> "We recommend that you use [[LUKS encrypted volumes]] instead of
>>> TrueCrypt volumes." While the LUKS page in turn links to our persistence
>>> feature's docs, I think it would be convenient if we would link to it
>>> directly in that info bubble because probably that is what the user
>>> actually wants, since the integration into Tails makes it so easy to
>>> use.
>>
>> I'm not sure. I kinda like the current two-steps thing, to explain
>> first the alternatives in terms of on-disk format / encryption, and
>> then the integration. sajolida, others?
>
> Sorry for not answering this before. I have a tiny bit of backlog :)
>
> I pushed two commits to fix this. Honestly, I haven't thought about
> mentioning persistence on that page before. This is commit 0f41c36.
>
> I also lowered the level of this warning on the persistence page to
> "tip" (because it is not dangerous as such). This is commit 68ffa07.
>
> So please review and merge again feature/7740-remove-truecrypt into master.

I work with a number of people who use TrueCrypt - I wonder how this
will work for them?

They require TrueCrypt and this will probably force them to switch to
another platform unless they can still mount, use and create those
kinds of volumes in the future.

I'm late to the party and generally support pushing for the end of
TrueCrypt in favor of dmcrypt/LUKS. Still - I worry majorly about this
change as it is already a hidden option...

All the best,
Jacob