[Tails-dev] [review'n'merge:1.3] feature/6880-torsocks-2, ak…

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] [review'n'merge:1.3] feature/6880-torsocks-2, aka. drop Polipo and install torsocks 2.0
Hi,

this branch builds on top of feature/6623-wget-socks and
feature/8194-APT-socks, and this request supersedes the previous pull
requests I've sent 3 weeks ago about them.

It removes Polipo, which is a goal for our 3.0 milestone. It also
upgrades torsocks to 2.0 (so that Totem can still display online
videos, see #8219), and replaces all calls to `torify' with
`torsocks'.

Note that it still torifies Claws Mail using tsocks, since the issue
that made us do that in the past is still present with torsocks 2.0
(it might actually be that we're benefiting from a bug in tsocks here,
but so be it, and anyway we're going to drop Claws Mail soonish, so it
seems good enough this way).

Commits are:

4840626 Wrap Totem to torify it with torsocks.
f8765ff Use torsocks for Gobby, instead of torify.
0d61ea5 Use torsocks for whois, instead of torify.
aadc854 Install torsocks (2.x) from wheezy-backports (Closes: #8220).
32897af Remove all traces of Polipo: we don't use it anymore (Closes: #5379, #6115).
2afb32e Add design documentation wrt. how we configure APT.
068f053 Adjust hook that includes syslinux in the ISO filesystem to APT being moved from HTTP to SOCKS.
8b67c9a Move code for toggling tor+http to a dedicated, more generic program.
17df30a Have APT directly use the Tor SOCKS proxy (Closes: #8194).
0c8913a Add a design doc section about how we torify wget.
d42ade0 Wrap wget with torsocks, instead of configuring it to use Polipo (Closes: #6623).

It passes the relevant bits of the automated test suite for me, and
some manual tests as well (#8329).