Re: [Tails-dev] The future of GNOME Fallback in Tails

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] The future of GNOME Fallback in Tails
Hi,

intrigeri wrote (29 May 2014 07:44:39 GMT) :
> Personally, I'd rather first make sure we have an acceptable,
> incremental option based on GNOME (that is, Classic mode): better
> learn it ASAP, that is before Jessie is frozen, if we have to migrate
> away (and find issues in whatever DE we migrate to), or if we have to
> improve things in Jessie's GNOME3 hardware support (llvmpipe
> integration, etc.).

FTR, the results of our hardware support tests of GNOME 3 in Jessie
were good, and our feature/jessie branch has been shipping GNOME
Classic for a while (that is, GNOME Shell with a few extensions that
make it look like "good" old GNOME 2).

You can give it a try if you wish:
http://nightly.tails.boum.org/build_Tails_ISO_feature-jessie/

> Discussing what exact flavour of the Shell we want to run by default
> can happen after Jessie is frozen, and I don't see the point to spend
> any time on it before we know for sure that the Shell (be it classic
> or modern) is a valid option.

Alan now agrees that GNOME Classic is "quite a good compromise", so
unless someone else wants to take over #7558 and lead this discussion,
that's what Tails/Jessie will support. (And if you want to take the
lead on that discussion, better do it ASAP, because a lot of work
we're doing these days on this front relies on GNOME Classic to some
degree, and the more we wait, the more work will need to be re-done.)