[Tails-dev] Dropping the alternate US keyboard layout? (#791…

Supprimer ce message

Répondre à ce message
Auteur: intrigeri
À: tails-dev
Sujet: [Tails-dev] Dropping the alternate US keyboard layout? (#7912)
Hi,

it seems (#7912) that our way to add the US keyboard layout as an
alternative to the chosen one is racy, and sometimes makes it selected
as the default layout instead of the chosen one. As indicated on the
ticket (and one can see much more related back'n'forth and hacks and
workarounds in the Greeter's Git history), that's an area that has
historically been fragile and racy.

I'm now tempted to revert to the working state we had in
feature/wheezy before the alternate US keyboard layout was
reintroduced (commit cc4e759e).

I'd love to see a proper fix come in, but I'm not confident this will
happen any time soon, and it seems to be that we should optimize for
the main use case (as a user, I want the keyboard layout I chose to be
applied consistently), instead of introducing bugs by trying to cope
with a less-wide-spread use case (as a user, I want to switch between
US and $local keyboard layouts) that can still be satisfied (by
manually adding the US keyboard layout).

Still I'm unsure, as I've no idea how widespread the latter use
case is. Any idea?