Re: [Tails-ux] [Tails-dev] Greeter mockups

Author: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design, bitingBird
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] [Tails-dev] Greeter mockups
BitingBird wrote:
> sajolida@??? a écrit :
>> We're doing a last round of comments and polishing before moving on to
>> implementation of phase 1.
>
> Some remarks: why does the first screen "start" button have a "play"
> icon, while all other screens have a computer?

Tchou proposed a computer logo for Start. Then Alan and I preferred the
play logo. I might have left a version of each to leave this open to
discussion.

Which one do you think is better and why?

> Did some japanese speaker check the ideograms on the 2 "languages"
> icons, to make sure they are real ideograms ?

The ideogram on the first screen comes from the "language icon" [1]. And
I trust them to be fine.

[1]: http://www.languageicon.org/

The ideogram on the second screen comes from The Noun Project [2]. And I
also trust them to be fine.

[2]: http://thenounproject.com/term/translation/5735/

Feel free to check their meaning with a Japanese speaker.

Here again we have two versions because we haven't made a clear decision
yet. I prefer the first icon on the first screen because it is less high
and fits better on top of the selection list.

Which one do you think is better and why?

> Why did you keep weird sliders, while it's the thing that everybody
> finds confusing, and we checked that Gnome says checkboxes are OK ?

Those switches are described in the GNOME Human Interface Guideles [4]
list this:

« Switches should be used for controlling services or hardware that have
a clear on/off logic. They are particularly appropriate when those
services or hardware do not activate immediately (ie. there is a delay
between the switch being operated and it having an effect), or when they
affect the operation of the application in a significant way. »

I think that this applies quite well to "Windows camouflage" and "Mac
address spoofing". And I trust GNOME for them to be fine.

[4]: https://developer.gnome.org/hig/stable/switches.html.en

> In the advanced setup, I think the persistence configuration is not
> implemented yet ?

That's right. The same applies for the timezone configuration in the
first screen and other things. But we wanted to design the screens with
all the features that we are already planning on having. Even if they
will be implemented with less features at first. Does that make sense?

--
sajolida