Re: [Tails-dev] Removing Polipo (and upgrading to torsocks 2…

Supprimer ce message

Répondre à ce message
Auteur: coderman
À: The Tails public development discussion list
Sujet: Re: [Tails-dev] Removing Polipo (and upgrading to torsocks 2.x): progress report
On 11/6/14, intrigeri <intrigeri@???> wrote:
> We won't ship anything that requires a HTTP proxy, so if they install
> additional stuff, then they're on unsupported land and the ball is on
> their court. In most cases, torsocks will be enough.

torsocks 2.0 is much better than old torsocks, and better than polipo
in most cases.

i suspect you won't have any trouble, other than people wondering why
their http_proxy envvar assumptions are now invalid.

> If it's not,
> I don't know, they can reuse the polipo configuration we currently
> ship or do something on their own.

it would be nice if polipo didn't suck for use with Tor. privoxy has
it's own issues, and i have often just use a squid proxy instead,
leaving privacy protections to application layers (where it is more
robust, anyway)

this was tested trying to distribute cryptome archives (many gigs)
over spliced HTTP to onions with aria2. polipo and privoxy failed,
squid marched on...

best regards,