[Tails-dev] Removing Polipo (and upgrading to torsocks 2.x):…

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] Removing Polipo (and upgrading to torsocks 2.x): progress report
Hi,

the feature/5379-remove-polipo branch builds upon the ones for #7416
(proposed for 1.2.1), #6623 (proposed for 1.3) and #8194 (not
submitted formally yet), that configure the remaining Polipo users to
use the Tor SOCKS proxy instead. And it goes further, by removing all
traces of Polipo, thus achieving one of our goals for Tails 3.0.

As indicated on #5379, it currently passes the revelant bits of our
automated test suite, but Totem is broken => #8219.

So, in short, in order to complete the Polipo removal, we need to
upgrade to torsocks 2.x (#6880). Eight months ago, David Goulet has
reported about early tests on that ticket, but I haven't seen things
move since then. I suspect a run of our automatic test suite on an ISO
that ships torsocks 2.x might be a good next step, and could help
discover potential issues.

Anyone wants to prepare a feature/6880-torsocks-2 branch that installs
torsocks 2.0 from wheezy-backports, and migrates its configuration
file accordingly?

(Yeah, seems like I strongly needed to procrastinate and work on
something not urgent, for a change -- thankfully it seems useful :)