Re: [Tails-dev] Broadcom Wireless Drivers

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Broadcom Wireless Drivers
Hi,

Kristi Grant wrote (24 Sep 2014 17:15:17 GMT) :
> To make my life easier I'm trying to get some of this done in a virtual
> machine, then move over to the actual live CD after I know I can do it. I'm
> still working on getting the Broadcom STA Linux drivers working with Tails
> 1.1.1. I downloaded the driver from
> http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php and extracted it to my
> home directory.

See the broadcom-sta-dkms Debian package instead, and the work that
has been done in Debian to autodetect the correct drivers at boot time
(which will allow us to install the broadcom-sta drivers in Tails
without breaking support for currently supported hardware):

https://bugs.debian.org/748679
https://bugs.debian.org/749109

This is tracked in the Tails bug tracker already:

https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/7798

So, the next thing to do is to build a Tails ISO with
broadcom-sta-dkms and live-config 4.x (both pulled from sid), and see
if that works. IMO, anything else is a waste of time, since it will
only result in "fixing" the problem for one single user, whereas many
users need this to work.