Re: [Tails-ux] Feedbacks from Fiodor [ was : greeter UX: adv…

Author: tchou
To: tails-ux
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Feedbacks from Fiodor [ was : greeter UX: advanced options ]

Hey,

sajolida@???:
> tchou wrote:
>> > Persistence [more info]
>> > [type your passphrase to unlock....(xx) ] [enable] <= make it a button
>> > rather than a label, so the user can perform himself too the checking (I
>> > mean there is the autochecking, but it's possible to click too to check).
> I think that I prefer having a button to enable. I'm also not sure about
> the autochecking: if we have an "enable" button then it is not strictly
> needed, and I'm not how much users would be badly surprised by this. So
> I'm thinking that we should avoid it if we already have a button for that.

This kind of interface is getting quite know, because lot a web services
use it to autosync.

But anyway, maybe it's better to have something to perform to enable, so
the user can feel more the states. On the other end, I really would like
to have a very quick way to start :
- I plug my Tails USB stick
- I write my passphrase
- I click [enter]

>> > I don't realy know if we must write the state (disabled) or the possible
>> > action (enable). The Gnome 3 toggle button is a state one (off/on)
>> > (http://www.dedoimedo.com/images/computers_years/2011_1/gnome-3-bt-menu.jpg)
> Yes, but I think that here we don't need a toggle button but an action
> button "Enable" (as you proposed) so there is no doubt on terminology
> for me. But yes, it would be good to have a visual feedback about the
> state. Then what about reuse the padlock metaphor from GNOME Disks?

I agree with the idea to have an iconic feedback, but maybe :
- the padlock is not
- the icon + text is too heavy

> That would probably have less states:
>
> Initial state:
>    Persistence [more info]
>    [Type your passphrase..............(xx) ] [icon: pad closed] [enable]

> After clicking on enable
>    Persistence [more info]
>    [ooooooooooooooooo.................(xx) ] [icon: spinner] [enable]

I think there is no enable at this state. A light gray unclickable
enable maybe.

> If the password is correct:
>    Persistence [more info]
>    [ooooooooooooooooo.................(xx) ] [icon: pad open]
>    ([enable] button disappears)

I think it should be possible to disable at this state.