Re: [Tails-dev] Contributing to Tails's website

Author: Patrick ZAJDA
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Contributing to Tails's website
Hi u,
Le 19/08/2014 11:05, u a écrit :
> I am wondering: if i edit the email and cut some parts of the
> conversation, will this still be easily readable or interpretable by a
> braille reader?
>
> For now, i will just leave everything intact and answer inline until you
> tell me how to do it the best way.

It's OK for me, in fact it will be easier to read if there are only
useful informations.
I haven't removed anything because I don't know what is better between
keeping all the content to have all the history in the message or to
keep only what is relevant to the answer.
And sometimes I have problems to delete large portion of text.
> Patrick ZAJDA:
>> Hi,
>>

>> Le 18/08/2014 22:06, u a écrit :
>>> Hi,

>>> Great! Welcome on board.
>>>
>> Thank you.
>>> At the moment we are in the process of thinking what exactly we will do
>>> to restructure and redesign our website. There have been some
>>> discussions at the Tails HackFest. We did not agree on anything in
>>> particular yet though.
>>>
>>> We have created a blueprint [0] about the website structure. Different
>>> people made different drafts about how we could reorganize the website.
>>>
>>> The discussion about these issues should take place on the tails-ux
>>> mailinglist [1]. I say "should" because in practice we have had little
>>> time recently to discuss more on the proposals. But we are keen to get
>>> more input on these ideas.
>>>
>>> Furthermore you can find tickets related to the website on our
>>> bugtracker [2][3]. Tickets which do not yet have an assignee can be
>>> taken by you, if interested.
>>>
>>> Please tell us what kind of work you would be interested in in
>>> particular (design, code, documentation, reorganizing, something else?)
>>> Are you familiar with ikiwiki, CSS, markdown, anything else or do you
>>> need guidance? Please don't hesitate to ask.
>>>
>>> Sajolida is the one here who knows the website best and who can give you
>>> more information, or tasks.
>>>
>> OK, in fact for the moment I'd like to begin with some accessibility
>> related tickets : #7508 and #7506
>> If all is OK after that I'll think about harder tasks :)
> That is great.
>
> You can set yourself as an assignee on these two tasks on
> https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/7506
> and https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/7508
> So we know that somebody is working on them.

OK, done now.

> Concerning ticket #7508 i suppose you will need to edit
> wiki/src/templates/page.tmpl.

Yes, that's the solution I though.
> That means editing a template which is more or less shipped by ikiwiki
> as is. There is another ticket #7027 which might be related to this
> intervention.
>
> I have looked into the issue before and saw that our templates are still
> pretty close to the upstream version. But you might want to check this
> out before working on #7508.

OK, I'm going to read it, thanks.
> For the other ticket, i think you might need to edit a lot of different
> pages. (I'll let sajolida confirm this, as i am not 100% sure of what
> has been said already on the subject.)

In fact I though I could edit the template, because it is the main thing
for all pages.
But I'll check again what pages should be edited to add this level 1
header,.
>> I have a little experience with markdown, I prefer avoiding CSS because
>> I'm blind so difficult to check my work before submitting but HTML is
>> not really a problem.
>>> We tend to create a new branch based on master for every modification.
>>>
>> OK, thanks.
> Do you need any help with this in particular or did you manage to
> checkout the repository already?

I forked on repo.or.cz and cloned it. Thanks
>>> You will also need to be able to build the wiki locally in order to
>>> verify your modifications before asking for review. [4]

>>> If you are available on september 3rd, please do not hesitate to
>>> participate in the contributor meeting on IRC too. This might be easier
>>> to sort some things out.
>> OK, I'll try to be here.
>>> Cheers,
>>> u.
>>>
>>> [0] https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-ux/2014-July/000028.html
>>> [2] https://labs.riseup.net/code/projects/tails/issues?query_id=115
>>> [3] https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/7627
>>> [4] https://tails.boum.org/contribute/build/website/
>>>
>> Thank you for your answer,
>>
> If you have any other questions, just ask :)

Thanks again for your help.

--
Patrick ZAJDA
Skype: gansta93