Re: [Tails-dev] mirror bandwidth

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] mirror bandwidth
Hi,

Dustin Hess wrote (14 Aug 2014 00:30:54 GMT) :
> for those of you that run mirrors, how much bandwidth are you actually
> going through on a regular basis? I mirror for some small projects
> already, but the FAQ makes it sound like I'd be pushing a few TB/month
> if I added tails to my list

That's indeed the case. See e.g.

http://asciifun.com/vnstat/monthly.png
http://beam.rlogin.net/cgi-bin/awstats.pl?config=tails

Any slower mirror, or mirror not able to push that many bits a month,
will cause slow downloads for a fraction of Tails users.

On the other hand, as Tobias highlighted, we've got plans for
weighting mirrors, and once this is done, then we can take advantage
even of slower ones :)

Thanks for considering hosting a Tails mirror!