Re: [Tails-dev] [review'n'merge 1.?] Bug #7771: printing in …

Author: Kill Your TV
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [review'n'merge 1.?] Bug #7771: printing in unsafe-browser leads to browser hang
On Tue, 12 Aug 2014 16:20:57 +0000 (UTC)
intrigeri <intrigeri@???> wrote:

> > It's reproducible here. It always tries to communicate with CUPS via
> > IPv6, even with my simple change, only with my change it doesn't
> > block the Print window from appearing. According to mozillazine's
> > KB[0], my change of setting "print.postscript.cups.enabled" to
> > "false" 'should' stop it from trying to access CUPS, so maybe this
> > is a Firefox bug?
>
> Seems like it is. Want to reproduce it with a pristine Firefox, and
> then report upstream?

I set up a freshly installed virtual machine for testing, borrowing
"our" ferm configs. The goal was to see if Firefox attempts to contact
CUPS on port 631 even though it was disabled with the
print.postscript.cups.enabled configuration variable being set to false.

Results:
- Debian Wheezy's Iceweasel: Fails
- Mozilla's Firefox 24.7.0 ESR: Fails
- Mozilla's Firefox 31: Pass

tl;dr:

They fixed the problem sometime between Firefox 24 and Firefox 31.

Now to tinker with the firewall rules a bit...

--
GPG ID: 0x5BF72F42D0952C5A
Fingerprint: BD12 65FD 4954 C40A EBCB F5D7 5BF7 2F42 D095 2C5A