[Tails-dev] Redmine: possible usage clarification and improv…

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-dev, tchou
Subject: [Tails-dev] Redmine: possible usage clarification and improvements
Hi,

after more than a year of using Redmine, it's probably time to refine
things a little bit. Here are notifications about changes I've already
made, and proposals to do more. I'd be happy to read more issues
identified, and more proposals!

a. We need to clarify usage of the "Upstream" type of work. It's been
used for very different things, and is therefore currently
meaningless IMO:

   1. Talk to upstream (e.g. report a bug, suggest an improvement):
      I think we should just use the "Communicate" type of work.

   2. Turn custom changes of ours into something that's ready for
      upstream consumption, and have it merged there. I think we
      should have a "Push Upstream" type of work.

   3. Wait for "someone" to implement something upstream (assuming
      it's already known upstream that it needs to be done; else, go
      to #1). I think that the "Wait" type of work is good for
      these ones.

If there's no objection within a week, I'll do that.

b. What does the "design" category mean? It was empty recently, and
then:

     - tchou added a bunch of UX -related tickets to it; on the other
       hand, many other similar tickets have other categories (e.g.
       the one corresponding to the software whose UX should be
       improved), or not at all; so, it's not clear to me what's the
       current practical usefulness of using this category for these
       tickets;

     - anonym used it for a ticket that's about design doc (I've fixed
       it since then).

So, clearly something is too vague here. I propose to just drop
this category unless the problem gets worse, and then let the UX
team think their Redmine needs through and come up with something.
I'll do that if there's no objection within a week.

I realize that the axes that we currently use probably don't match
their needs: e.g. how do you categorize something that's about the
Tor configuration's UX? is it about Tor configuration, or about UX?
Maybe an additional "UX" boolean flag is the best we can do, until
we have tags.

c. As discussed previously here, I've created two new categories:
"Email Client" and "Instant messaging", and moved a bunch of
tickets in it. Once we've finished migrating to Icedove, we might
want to rename the former to "Icedove", so that RSS feed support
can fit into it too, if we also replace Liferea with Icedove for
this use case as well.