Re: [Tails-dev] Some research about mirror infrastructure

Nachricht löschen

Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Tobias Frei
To: tails-dev
Betreff: Re: [Tails-dev] Some research about mirror infrastructure
Hi,

ah right, I didn't think of the weighting problem with DNS - I had MX
records in mind and thought the fallback could be weighted like these
records.

I also did not think about TLS; I was just happy to have an (at least
temporary) solution which was simple enough for me to create using
various StackOverflow suggestions and code snippets. That's also the
reason why I can't provide a PHP equivalent of this code: While I could
experiment with JavaScript safely, PHP is something which should only be
coded by people who know the possible risks of running the code on the
server. It's an entirely different thing from a security point of view,
I think. If I make an error using JavaScript, the worst thing which can
happen is a crashing browser (happened during my experiments!). Should I
cause an equivalent error in PHP, something important might crash on the
server, or in the worst case there might even be data loss. Also, even
if I was able to create a PHP script for this task which worked
perfectly fine, I'd probably still be too afraid of not having thought
about possible security issues, problems with scalability etc.

Maybe someone else with more coding experience and self-confidence could
create a server-side solution. Mirrorbrain sounds nice; if available, I
would suggest using something which is already used by other open source
projects. :)

Best regards,
Tobias Frei