Re: [Tails-dev] Tails-dev Digest, Vol 51, Issue 19

Author: Tobias Frei
To: tails-dev
New-Topics: Re: [Tails-dev] Some research about mirror infrastructure
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails-dev Digest, Vol 51, Issue 19
Hi intrigeri,

this actually *is* a complementary approach to another one. :D
The "another one" is the DNS solution you currently use. You could,
for example, use the named server JavaScript idea *and* let it fall
back to dl.amnesia.boum.org. The POC does exactly that. :)

Example DNS configuration:
dl.amnesia.boum.org - with 25 A records
tormirror.dl.amnesia.boum.org - with a CNAME or A record
another.dl.amnesia.boum.org - same here; this one is also one of the 25
yetanother.dl.amnesia.boum.org - etc. etc.
[unlimited amount of other mirror names]

As even the Tor Browser Bundle has javascript enabled by default,[1] I
think the number of people who will use the fallback will be quite low.

It is not meant to be a complete replacement for DNS. I also think
that we don't really *want* to completely replace DNS, because one
day, tor-resolve might work as it should, and then we could switch
back to it. This JavaScript fix is - in my opinion - the best,
easiest, and (to quote the inofficial blueprint goal) most
straightforward solution available. And it is done, it is here, it
works.^^

Best regards,
Tobias Frei

[1] https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq#TBBJavaScriptEnabled

(I have now disabled digests again; didn't think about the problems
that digests cause with replies. Sorry if this one isn't sorted
correctly; I followed the instructions at
http://archivist.incutio.com/viewlist/css-discuss/89914 :s)