Re: [Tails-dev] Why OnionCat + Mumble - why not just Mumble?

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Why OnionCat + Mumble - why not just Mumble?
Hi,

Patrick Schleizer wrote (06 Aug 2014 14:22:30 GMT) :
> Well, with OnionCat you must involve Tor Hidden Services as well?

Well, the Debian package description reads:

OnionCat creates a transparent IP layer on top of Tor hidden
services. It transparently transmits any kind of IP-based data
through the Tor network on a location hidden basis. You can think of
it as a point-to-multipoint VPN between hidden services.
.
OnionCat is a stand-alone application which runs in userland and is a
connector between Tor and the local OS. Any protocol based on IP,
such as UDP or TCP, can be transmitted.
.
OnionCat supports IPv6; native IPv4 forwarding, though still
available, is deprecated: the recommended solution for IPv4
forwarding is to build a IPv4-through-IPv6 tunnel through OnionCat.

>> how do you initiate
>> a peer-to-peer conversation between two Tails users using Mumble?
>>
>> In other words: which Mumble server do you use, and how much do you
>> need to trust it?

> I would assume, that documentation would say, that one of the two Tails
> user must bite the bullet and set up a Tor Hidden Service Murmur server.

I'm curious: did anyone test this and confirmed that Mumble can
actually work this way?

> Maybe I am missing something here. Would OnionCat improve usability and
> ease the process?

I'm not sure. The idea (IIRC, was long ago) was to use it to make
things work, using UDP if needed.

> Or does Mumble have a mode for serverless peer-to-peer connections?

Last time I checked, it didn't have any such thing.