Re: [Tails-dev] Replacing TrueCrypt with cryptsetup 1.6 + do…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Replacing TrueCrypt with cryptsetup 1.6 + documentation? [Was: tcplay in tails]
hi,

sajolida@??? wrote (22 Jul 2014 23:50:54 GMT) :
> intrigeri wrote:
>> I've given it a quick try, and it was pretty easy. I only had to add
>> the attached quilt patch, dch --bpo, and it just built. Quickly tried
>> the resulting binary packages in Tails 1.1 (creating a LUKS volume in
>> GNOME Disks, unlocking and locking it again), seems to work fine.

> Cool! Did you try to open a truecrypt volume with it as well?

No. Filed #7648 so that I don't forget doing this. Thanks :)

> I agree with that plan.

:)

> Still, I'd suggest taking a tiny bit more time. [...]

> So what about:

> 1. In Tails 1.2, October 14, introduce the wrapper
> 2. In Tails 1.3, January 6, ship cryptsetup 1.6

Fair enough. But then, I think we should ship cryptsetup 1.6 and
document how to use it to unlock TrueCrypt volumes, as soon as we
modify the wrapper, though, so that we don't discover in 2015 that the
proposed solution doesn't work for some users.

> But I won't argument for that anymore, and if you prefer doing it fast
> that's fine with me too.

I'd rather do it faster, since we've been announcing it for a year,
but I can live with your proposed timing too.