[Tails-l10n] Using Transifex for translating the Tails websi…

Author: intrigeri
To: Tails localization discussion
Subject: [Tails-l10n] Using Transifex for translating the Tails website? [Was: People confirmed and where fork]
Hi,

Cristian Salamea wrote (13 Jul 2014 20:16:11 GMT) :
> On 13/07/14 04:22, intrigeri wrote:
>> Well... I'm in doubt that Transifex is a suitable platform to
>> translate a website such as ours. As far as I know, best case, one can
>> get the translated strings *unordered* form, and I've no idea how one
>> can turn that into a suitable Git pull requests for our consumption.
>> But maybe I missed something. What's the plan to get the translated
>> strings into our website?

> Transifex is a good platform to translate ever PO files, so i start the
> translation for MailPile[1] just update a pot file and create new
> languages, then you can use a tx cli and pull translation from console
> or use whatever *offline* editor and work.

OK, you seem to be very confident that Transifex could be an option
for some language teams who want to translate the Tails website.
I'm not saying it's not the case, but I suspect quite some problems
won't find an easy solution. Let's investigate our needs then:

* Support for multiple branches and merging: most of the time, the
website needs to be translated on the master branch. But once we
have frozen our codebase, quite some translation work needs to be
done in the testing or stable branch, and we regularly merge master
in it. Then, at release time, we merge the testing or stable branch
into master. How would one handle this in Transifex?

 * Support for multiple POT files: our website has one POT file
   per page. Currently, we have 260 such files. So:
   - How does one automatically import these many files into
     Transifex?
   - How does one remove the obsolete POT files from Transifex?

* Reviewing: can one ensure that every string translated in Transifex
has been reviewed by another team member, before we pull it into
our Git repo?

* Exporting: how does one export the work done in Transifex

Also, note that AFAIK Transifex does not support importing PO files,
so a language team that picks Transifex would need to do their work in
there only: in other words, for a given language, one cannot mix
translators using Git, with translators using Transifex.