Re: [Tails-dev] Release schedule for Tails 1.1.1

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Release schedule for Tails 1.1.1
17/07/14 21:05, intrigeri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'll be the release manager for 1.1.1 until the first RC is out.

If you need something review'n'merged yourself, and cannot find anyone
else to do it, feel free to ask me directl. I may not read tails-dev@
very closely starting July 25th, until around August 20th.

> Then, anonym will take over (around August 20).
>
> Here's the preliminary release schedule:
>
>   2014-08-12   Feature freeze
>   2014-08-13   Tag 1.1.1-rc1 in Git.
>                Build and upload 1.1.1-rc1 ISO/IUKs.
>   2014-08-14   Test 1.1.1-rc1
>   2014-08-15   Release 1.1.1-rc1

> ... and anonym told me:
>
>   2014-08-31   Firefox 24.8.0 ESR sources are available.
>                Package and upload Firefox 24.8.0 ESR.
>                Tag 1.1.1 in Git.
>                Build and upload 1.1.1 ISO and IUKs.
>   2014-09-01   Testing Tails 1.1.1
>   2014-09-02   Release Tails 1.1.1

> @core developers: please tell me+anonym if you're available on August
> 14 and/or September 1st for testing.

I may not be available on August 14th but I definitely will be available
on September 1st.

> @anonym: past experience showed that it's risky to attempt building
> the browser + ISO on the same day. Best case, that's a huge day of
> work. Worst case, you get an all-nighter for free, and then a hard
> time the next day to coordinate the testing session. I suggest to
> instead build the browser on August 30, and the ISO on August 31.
> Of course, your call.

Right. There are two reasons I've not done this so far:

* The later we pull the source, the less likely is it we have to build
a new package due to last-minute changes. I don't think I've ever
seen that happen, though.

* I'm generally completely unavailable on Saturdays.

We'll see what I do this particular time, but in generally I have no
issue with all-nighters, except that sleep deprivation makes one more
error prone. Regarding the testing sessions it's true that I will join
them later than normally would be possible, like early afternoon, but
that seems to be when other testers join in any way, so no problem there
either.

Cheers!