Re: [Tails-dev] Good news wrt. nested virtualization

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Good news wrt. nested virtualization
Hi,

boyska wrote (18 Jul 2014 13:33:53 GMT) :
> we're also experimenting with nested virtualization. For what I could
> see, it basically works,

FYI, our past experience (with pre-Haswell CPUs) was so painful (read:
super-slow) that we've given up.

>> The bad news is that one needs a super-recent Intel CPU to take
>> advantage of this. Others will still need to either run the test suite
>> directly on their usual system, or to get a dedicated machine to
>> run it.

> I think there's room for colaboration at a "hardware level", then ;)
> We have one of those.

Great :)

Note that in a few months, we'll have a server dedicated to running
our test suite, so the advantage of using your box instead will
vanish. Also, for people doing any kind of intensive Tails
development, IMO being able to run the test suite locally is waaay
more practical.