Re: [Tails-dev] Bitmessage is a decentralized, encrypted, P2…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Bitmessage is a decentralized, encrypted, P2P Protocol
Hi,

darkd0@??? wrote (08 Jul 2014 12:43:39 GMT) :
> Hi Tails Dev team please integrate Bitmessage program in Tails .

For this to happen, the first step is to have Bitmessage available in
Debian sid [1], then Debian testing, and then in wheezy-backports.
Once this is done, Tails users may choose to add Bitmessage to their
"addional software packages" [2] persistence configuration, use it,
and report back about how it works in the context of Tails.
Then only, we might decide to include Bitmessage by default in Tails.

Still, note that we try very hard not to have duplicate programs
achieving similar functionality in Tails. The field Bitmessage is
playing in seems to be quite crowded these days, with numerous similar
projects (Pond, MailPile, onionmail, LEAP, you name it), and it's
unclear to me which one will get enough momentum, which one will still
be around in 2-5 years, and which one(s) will be the "winner(s)". So,
personally, I'm happy to make it easier for Tails users to try
Bitmessage (and others) as a first step, but I don't feel like we are
in a position to pick one of these projects *right now*.

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/731975
[2] https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/persistence/configure/#index13h2