Re: [Tails-dev] Please start reviewing bugfix/7345-upgrade-f…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Please start reviewing bugfix/7345-upgrade-from-iso-from-1.0-to-1.1
Hi,

Notes about all this:

* I initially forgot to push (and ask reviews for) the related changes
in tails-perl5lib, same branch. Now fixed, and snapshot
.deb uploaded.

* The three snapshot .deb's (installer, iuk, perl5lib) have the
upstream branch changes imported as a quilt patch. When merging, it
would be better to merge the topic branch into master, merge the
debian_$topic branch into the debian one, remove the quilt patch
from there, put a new upstream release out, and package that. I can
do it if you want.

* If there's a way that makes you confident that I merge the branch
myself, e.g. after you've finished reviewing the code, and done as
many tests as you want, this can be done too.

anonym wrote (19 Jun 2014 18:37:36 GMT) :

>>> If you would enumerate these I can perhaps help a bit on Sunday,
>>> depending on how much other review work there's for me then.
>>
>> I want to test clone'n'upgrade, clone'n'install, and a "real" IUK
>> upgrade. All these from 1.1~betaN and 1.0.1 + the new liveusb-creator.
>> Help is warmly welcome.

> I'll see what I can do on Sunday.

Here's the current state of my test matrix, that makes me confident
that the three tests to do will go just fine:

| from                             | clone'n'upgrade (4) | clone'n'install (5) | upgrade from ISO (2) | incr. upgrade |

|----------------------------------+---------------------+---------------------+----------------------+---------------|
| 1.1~betaN (1)                    | OK                  | OK                  |                      | OK (3)        |
| 1.0.1 + new liveusb-creator .deb |                     |                     | OK                   | n/a (6)       |

  (1) Built from bugfix/7345-upgrade-from-iso-from-1.0-to-1.1, that is
      with the new liveusb-creator, tails-iuk and tails-perl5lib
      packages... and the fix for #7410 I've sneaked in, so that it
      benefits from the same amount of testing as the rest, for free.
  (2) Upgrading to an ISO built from bugfix/7345-upgrade-from-iso-from-1.0-to-1.1.
  (3) Using an IUK created with the new tails-iuk, representing the diff between
      an ISO built from bugfix/7345-upgrade-from-iso-from-1.0-to-1.1, and an ISO
      built from the experimental branch.
  (4) Upgrading a 1.0.1 Tails USB stick.
  (5) Installing onto a blank USB stick.
  (6) We won't support incremental upgrades from 1.0.x to 1.1.

If you want to take some, just tell me (here or on IM, depending on
where I am).

>> I'd like to also add to the design document a minimal discussion of
>> the security impact of these changes: [...]

> Indeed, please do this.

Now that I feel I've validated the code bits enough to be confident
it'll work fine, I'm switching to this.