Re: [Tails-dev] Search engine suggestion

Author: intrigeri
To: Simon Kuang
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Search engine suggestion
Hi,

[no need to Cc me, I read the list.]

Simon Kuang wrote (20 Jun 2014 17:57:43 GMT) :
> I have a suggestion for the Tails browser search engine. Personally, I
> find DuckDuckGo much more aesthetic than StartPage, and I think they
> both offer the desirable privacy and security features. I recommend that
> you even use DDG's hidden service page, 3g2upl4pq6kufc4m.onion, which is
> surprisingly fast, and add this SSL exception to IceWeasel.

Thank you for this suggestion.

The rationale behind choosing Startpage over DuckDuckGo two years ago,
both for the Tor Browser and for Tails, can be found there:

I see no compelling reason to change this in Tails right now. Also,
I find it useful that Tails uses the same default search engine as the
Tor Browser, so a change would need to be argued on both sides.