[Tails-dev] Universal USB Installer vs. Tails/UEFI

Nachricht löschen

Nachricht beantworten
Autor: intrigeri
To: admin
CC: tails-dev
Betreff: [Tails-dev] Universal USB Installer vs. Tails/UEFI
Hi Lance,

Tails 1.1 will support UEFI. To this end, the COM32R modules we'll be
including in our ISO filesystem come from syslinux 6.x, and are thus
incompatible with a ldlinux.sys created by an older version of
syslinux, such as the 4.x syslinux.exe that is shipped with Universal
USB Installer. Thus, if nothing is done, Tails USB sticks created by
UUI will be unbootable.

For our own (GNU/Linux) installer, the solution we've found is to
replicate how Clonezilla and their TuxBoot installer do:

  * we include a copy of the relevant syslinux binary, as
    utils/linux/syslinux, in the ISO filesystem;
  * after extracting the ISO filesystem to the target partition, our
    installer runs *that* syslinux binary (now found in the target
    partition).

Do you think Universal USB Installer could implement something like
this? If so, I'll look into including a syslinux 6.x Windows binary in
our ISO filesystem, and will use the same path that TuxBoot already
supports. Ideally, all this would have to be done by July 4, both on
the UUI and Tails front.

I expect many other live distros start switching to syslinux 6.x soon,
so implementing such a solution would be not *only* be useful to
support Tails, but many others too :)

If you have other ideas on how to resolve this problem, I'm glad to
hear it!