Re: [Tails-dev] Sharing wiperam package between Freepto and …

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list, freepto
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Sharing wiperam package between Freepto and Tails?
Hi,

[Re-adding the Freepto folks to the Cc list. Quoting a bit more than
I would usually do, to help them catch up despite the email
they've missed.]

Context for Freepto folks: Patrick is the lead developer of Whonix,
and has been putting great efforts recently to better integrate his
work with Debian.

Patrick Schleizer wrote (09 Jun 2014 00:55:53 GMT) :
> Maybe I can help a bit packaging it.

Yay!

> I advise against directly using dpkg-divert for config file diversions.
> That may cause issues later when attempting to upgrade the package.

Full ACK.

> In my opinion config-package-dev [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] provides
> a fine abstraction to handle this in a more tested and robust way.

Aye, I've been wanting to try it out for a while.

> If you're interested, you could have a look at the anon-base-files [6]
> package as example, which diverts a few config files. For such simple
> [7] config package, I also think the files structure of the
> anon-base-files package is simpler.

> So if you're interested in my help, I could do the initial packaging,
> i.e. getting files in place, diverting config files... But it would
> be up to you to get the actual ram wipe working.

This would be terrific. I've planned to work a bit on it with
ono-sendai around June 27-29. Do you think you can get the package in
a better shape before?

Suggestions:

  * switch to non-native package, to ease maintaining the delta
    Freepto, Tails, Whonix and others might have to insert
  * standard git-buildpackage repo layout, 3.0 (quilt) source format
  * Lintian is your friend

> Could you make the github readme English by default?

I wouldn't mind either :)