[Tails-dev] Thoughts on reading mail

Author: William Waites
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] Thoughts on reading mail
I was pleased to find out that, undocumentedly, mutt is included with
Tails. Though mutt does support fetching mail from remote mailboxes, it
doesn't properly do filtering and sorting. Might it be useful to also
include fetchmail and procmail?

With the default Claws MUA, mails get a header like this:

This is specific enough, and unusual enough that it is reasonably
likely that someone sending mail with a header like this is using
Tails. Is this kind of fingerprinting a concern? There's no real need
for X-Mailer so in general maybe it is a good idea to patch the
software, or configure it to not add it if this is a concern.

I gather that there might be some plans afoot to replace Claws but the
same concerns would apply with other MUAs unless that header was made
to be quite generic.

Cheers,
-w