Re: [Tails-dev] Tahoe-LAFS persistence

Author: David Stainton
To: intrigeri
CC: tahoe-dev, The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tahoe-LAFS persistence
> Looks good. Still, will need to persist the Tahoe-LAFS configuration.
> Hence my proposal.

Ahhh OK! I understand.

> Have you actually tried installing Tahoe-LAFS on Tails, in a way that
> it's re-installed automatically on every boot, and you don't have to
> reconfigure it every time you start Tails? If you haven't, please do.
> I suspect this will make my previous email much clearer :)

Yes... I have. I did not use the Debian package. I used my Ansible
role to build a feature branch.
I am not suggesting Tails users should use Ansible... I am only
suggesting that Ansible can help us
to automate things as part of the development and testing phase.
Obviously the final user facing solution
should not involve Ansible at all.

I created the symlink in the Tails dotfiles directory for the ".tahoe"
configuration directory symlink in the user home dir
like this:
https://github.com/david415/ansible-tahoe-lafs/blob/tails/tasks/configure.yml#L85-L95

The Ansible playbook for this is here:
https://github.com/david415/ansible-tahoe-lafs/blob/tails/playbook-examples/tails_oniongrid_client.yml

This "Tails onion-grid client" playbook specifies ALL the information needed...
and in particular that the Tahoe source be built here:
/home/amnesia/Persistent/tahoe-base/tahoe-lafs-src

...and the configuration directory installed here:
/home/amnesia/Persistent/tahoe-base/tahoe_client

You can easily follow this procedure for using this ansible role to
make your Tails system be a client to the onion grid:
https://gist.github.com/david415/da33d2a9f7090faf2a80

However only steps 1 through 5 are necessary... The rest of the steps
are for testing... to make sure everything works between Tails
reboots.

I do not know how Tails is supposed to persist software installed via
debian packages... but here in this example the software and
configuration directory are installed on the persistent volume... so
it works after reboots.

Cheers,

David