[Tails-dev] Successfully Installed Tails on my MacBook Air (…

Author: Yashendra Shukla
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] Successfully Installed Tails on my MacBook Air (2013)
Hey devs!

I downloaded the tails v1.1~beta1 iso from the website and verified it. After coming home, i formatted the usb drive (iball CORDIAL 8GB), using disk utility on my mac, into “fat32” and used the instructions given at- https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/installation/manual/mac/index.en.html to create a bootable usb of tails. midway, i hit into a bump that threw a ‘larger than 1024 cylinders, might not function on all devices’ error. so i formatted the usb into 'Mac OS X Journaled’. and… came up with the same error.

So, I threw caution to the winds and proceeded anyway. i had to use sudo for- dd if=[tails.iso] of=[device] , and nearly had a heart attack waiting for it to load. waited for about 10 minutes, then went to the bathroom. came out after 10 minutes and it was done!

I loaded up the usb, rebooted my mac, held down the option key, and voila! Windows drive! Clicked on it, loaded tails and logged in.

So far everything seems fine, although the sound recorder app crashed 4 out of 5 times that i loaded it.

I can’t believe it, you guys did it! Tails on mac!

My mac specs are as follows-

MacBook Air
13-inch, Mid 2013
Processor 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 5000
Software OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)

Congrats!

BTW, can you make the mac trackpad scrolling gesture work in tails?

-Yashendra Shukla