Re: [Tails-dev] Macbook Wifi firmware

Author: intrigeri
To: jurre
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Macbook Wifi firmware
Hi,

Jurre van Bergen wrote (31 May 2014 16:23:11 GMT) :
> So my suggestion is to add the following drivers:
> - broadcom-sta-common
>     - broadcom-sta-source
>     - module-assistant
> - broadcom-sta-dkms

> However, there could be conflicting modules loaded, which should be
> unloaded, so, this means that, we would need to check what kind of
> hardware it runs and only modprobe module A and not module X, Y and Z. [1]

There are devices that are better supported by the free driver than by
the proprietary one, and vice versa. When installed, the proprietary
driver entirely masks the free one. So, installing the proprietary
driver will improve things for some users (to the extent that running
non-free drivers is an improvement..), and make things worse
for others.

A resolution to this problem, for the specific case of Debian Live
systems, is being worked on: https://bugs.debian.org/748679

I think that's the way to go.