Re: [Tails-dev] TrueCrypt discontinued

Author: Daniel Kahn Gillmor
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] TrueCrypt discontinued
On 05/29/2014 07:47 AM, Chamelephon wrote:
> It is gonna affect the whole privacy-minded world, not just the tails
> community. But as a matter of fact, TAILS doesn't use truecrypt in any
> fashion.

Actually, if you boot tails with the "truecrypt" argument, tails will
make truecrypt available to the user. [0]

As for what this means for Tails:

0) truecrypt 7.2 (the version released yesterday) is clearly a
feature-regression compared to 7.1a (the version currently in tails. It
is designed to discourage future use of the truecrypt sourcecode.
Migrating to that new version seems problematic to me.

1) truecrypt 7.1a is clearly not something that upstream will support

2) tails already has a plan to migrate away from truecrypt [1]

3) there is work to consider about providing an easy/comprehensible
migration path for people who *did* use truecrypt in the past [2]

The last point is probably the most challenging work for tails.

    --dkg

[0]
https://tails.boum.org/doc/encryption_and_privacy/truecrypt/index.en.html
[1] https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/5373