Re: [Tails-dev] hacking tails to autologin with winxp camouf…

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] hacking tails to autologin with winxp camouflage
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> I’ve been playing with tails recently and after reading as many of the scripts as I could find, I can’t, for the life of me, get to the bottom of 2 things:
>>
>> 1) If i edit the boot parametrs to autologin (instead of the default noautologin), after boot, the regular clock synch & connecting tor don’t happen.
>> 2) What files need to be edited in order to activate the winxp camouflage ? I tried having a tails.camouflage with TAILS_CAMOUFLAE_OS=winxp in /var/lib/gdm3 with no joy.
>>
>> Thing is, I don’t understand really well what happens once gdm is started.
>
> On the same topic, where can I find what noautologin does as a boot parameter ? I’m asking because when I boot the system with autologin, it logs on just fine but the network driver isn’t loaded (I can load it manually afterwards).

I'm not sure to understand what you are trying to achieve.

When Tails starts it goes through a set of configuration screens called
Tails Greeter, see
http://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/startup_options/#index2h1.

At first sight, setting autologin bypasses Tails Greeter. I think that's
a pretty bad idea as I'm not pretty sure you will end up with a broken
system. Because Tails Greeter does actually more than collecting
configuration information and manipulates the root password, network
devices, etc.

All of this is not really documented on the website, as users are not
supposed to play with that. If you want to understand better what it
does you should have a look at the code:

http://git.tails.boum.org/greeter

In order to have the Windows camouflage enabled by default, I think the
way forward would be to create a new persistence feature to remember
that setting.

--
sajolida