Re: [Tails-l10n] [review](de) introduction

Author: flapflap
To: tails-l10n
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] [review](de) introduction
flapflap:
> u:
>> Hey,
>>
>> still another file which needs review
>> wiki/src/doc/introduction.de.po
>>
>> on branch de-introduction.
> (see below)
>
>> (sorry, i got some problems finding commit numbers after having made a
>> merge, maybe somebody has a technique to teach me? that would be highly
>> appreciated :))
> Usually, I do it via
>   git log --oneline    master..HEAD  > ~/bla; cat ~/bla
> and in bla are the commit IDs and log messages.

> If I do that for de-introduction I get:
>
> 68214dd Merge branch 'master' into de-introduction
> 3495882 merge
> b202be4 Merge branch 'master' of https://git-tails.immerda.ch/tails
> a6b37b1 merge
> 2ec3824 initial translation
>
> What is confusing me a lot in branch de-introduction and de-more-support
> (and also is the reason that I couldn't do the review yet) is that your
> 451f/master branch is different from tails/master. I'm not sure if
> differs in its content or only logically (e.g. in gitk it's shown as
> different branch than the tails/master remote branch).
>
> What's additionally confusing are the (resolved) merge conflicts that
> touch files that are not related to the translation file (e.g. mdwn, or
> already translated files).
>
> I'm trying to figure out how you repo works, but don't know if I'll
> succeed...

Hi u,

sorry for the long delay.

I still couldn't figure out what the changes are, and if I merge a
recent master into de-introduction I get lots of merge conflicts:

> # Unmerged paths:
> #   (use "git add/rm <file>..." as appropriate to mark resolution)
> #
> #    both modified:      wiki/src/contribute.de.po
> #    both modified:      wiki/src/doc.de.po
> #    both modified:      wiki/src/doc/encryption_and_privacy/gpgapplet.de.po
> #    both modified:      wiki/src/doc/encryption_and_privacy/gpgapplet.warning.de.po
> #    both modified:      wiki/src/doc/encryption_and_privacy/gpgapplet/decrypt_verify.de.po
> #    both modified:      wiki/src/doc/encryption_and_privacy/gpgapplet/passphrase_encryption.de.po
> #    both modified:      wiki/src/doc/encryption_and_privacy/gpgapplet/public-key_cryptography.de.po
> #    both modified:      wiki/src/doc/encryption_and_privacy/virtual_keyboard.de.po
> #    both modified:      wiki/src/doc/first_steps/installation/manual/mac.fr.po
> #    both modified:      wiki/src/doc/first_steps/installation/manual/windows.fr.po
> #    both modified:      wiki/src/doc/first_steps/upgrade.fr.po
> #    both modified:      wiki/src/doc/get/verify_the_iso_image_using_gnome.fr.po
> #    both modified:      wiki/src/doc/get/verify_the_iso_image_using_other_operating_systems.fr.po
> #    both modified:      wiki/src/news/version_0.23.fr.po
> #    both modified:      wiki/src/security/Numerous_security_holes_in_0.22.1.fr.po

As the problem somehow is also because your master differs from
tails/master, maybe, you could just create a branch based on
tails/master and then create branches with your changes relative to that
branch.

For example:
$ git checkout tails/master
Note: checking out 'tails/master'.

You are in 'detached HEAD' state. You can look around, make experimental
changes and commit them, and you can discard any commits you make in this
state without impacting any branches by performing another checkout.

If you want to create a new branch to retain commits you create, you may
do so (now or later) by using -b with the checkout command again. Example:

git checkout -b new_branch_name

HEAD is now at 5a97fbb... Add anchor.

$ git checkout -b master2
Switched to a new branch 'master2'

# just to make sure we're on recent master
$ git pull --ff-only tails master
$ git fetch tails master

$ git checkout de-introduction2

You had some to resolve some conflicts when you merged tails/master into
your original master, that's why they are split somehow.
But for me as a reviewer that means, that I have also to check these
merges and these modify completely off-topic files and are relatively
old. So I think it would be esier for me, if you just created another
"master" branch that is a true mirror of tails/master, and you also
don't commit any changes there, only in branches relative to that one.

I don't know if that's generally the way to do, but it works for me.

>From time to time you'd then just run a pull --ff-only tails/master on

your new master branch to keep it in sync.

Sorry if that's not the reply you expected and creates additional work
for you...

Cheers,
~flapflap