[Tails-dev] Renaming "Broken Window" to "Hole in the Roof"?

Üzenet törlése

Válasz az üzenetre
Szerző: intrigeri
Dátum:
Címzett: tails-dev
Tárgy: [Tails-dev] Renaming "Broken Window" to "Hole in the Roof"?
Hi,

I've been annoyed for a while with our usage of the "Broken Window"
terminology. It comes from a theory [1] that has is used as the basis
for social control policies I'd rather not see our project
associated with.

Until now, I had no alternate wording to propose, so I could only shut
up. But we've recently brainstormed this together with Jurre and u.,
and we've come with what I believe is a pretty good alternative.
Here we go:

I hereby propose we move to the "Hole in the Roof" wording.

In my view, it expresses exactly what we mean with "Broken Window":
something that, if not fixed quickly, will degrade more or less
quickly, and will make our life more and more painful. I also think
the meaning is easily grasped from the wording, without needing any
background in sociology or criminology, which sounds good.

I've added this topic to tomorrow's meeting agenda, but I realize it's
too late to make a proposal now and see it decided upon tomorrow, so
I expect we'll only gather opinions tomorrow, and wait one more week
before turning this into a decision.

So, deadline = April 15.

Thoughts, other proposals?

(Oh, and I volunteer to adapt every bit needed in our doc, Redmine, etc.)

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory