Re: [Tails-dev] Tails logo and banner

Author: intrigeri
To: John COSTA RICA, The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails logo and banner
Hi John,

> Regarding your questions:

> 1. What font are you using? What is its license ?
> Brush Script MT Italic. It is OpenType, means no license.

For your information, OpenType is merely a font format. As far as
I know, releasing a font in this format does not imply anything wrt.
the license it is published under.

So, we still need to make sure this is a free (as in "free software")
font. Unfortunately, the web page about it is broken for me currently:
https://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/font.aspx?FMID=930

I somehow doubt Microsoft has released this font with a free
software -compatible license, but I'd be glad to be proven wrong :)

> 2. Do you have a SVG source for your work?
>    I am not yet familiar with that SVG stuff, but could try to look
> for a solution (unless there is someone you know who could do the job
> for me, just inform me if so).

Just curious: did you create your proposed logo with a vector drawing
software, or a bitmap one?

> 4. What king of license for my material ? None of course, my logos
> and banners are Open Source so to speak, so you are free to use them,
> to distribute them , to modify them, or even to cook them with your
> favorite spices, it does not matter at all.

OK, this is good to know. Then, if we choose to use the logo you
created, we'll need it to have a free software -compliant license,
such as the GPL (https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html), Free Art
(http://artlibre.org/lal/en), or public domain
(https://creativecommons.org/choose/zero/).