Re: [Tails-dev] Tails usability feedback?

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails usability feedback?
Hi,

Jacob Appelbaum wrote (06 Apr 2014 20:24:37 GMT) :
> There are a few key issues - one is the difficulty of installing
> Tails,

ACK. I know of these specific problems:

The download and verification thing?
  -> Would it help if we made Tails Installer support downloading and
     verifying the latest ISO, and included in Debian/Ubuntu?

Getting an overview of the steps to have Tails running on a USB stick
that is persistence and incremental upgrades -capable?
-> Would a screencast help, in your opinion? (#6387)

Are there other *specific* stumbling blocks you know about in this area?

> the next is the difficulting of upgrading it (pre-incremental
> updates; though that is broken for me on one machine),

Please report a bug with WhisperBack about it.

> On the other hand, there are little details where I've
> adapted and so, my working routine is strange, perhaps not even the
> target audience.

Thank you for acknowledging this.

> As an example, I use extra software in a Persistent drive - stuff like
> Pond and xmpp-client. That is why I'm working on packaging it.

Cool, and then you can use the Additional Software feature to have it
installed automatically on every boot :)

> I also
> use a laptop which requires some extra stuff at each boot to keep X
> functioning properly. All of that requires a specific environment and
> that requires a setup. That kind of configuration is not hard but
> requires some basic hoop jumping.

It would be good to know if this problem can be reproduced in an
(experimental) ISO of Tails/Wheezy:

http://nightly.tails.boum.org/build_Tails_ISO_devel/

... and if it can, then one should report this bug to Debian.

> My biggest complaint is that the unsafe-browser is slow to launch

Interesting. It's the first time I hear someone complaining about it.
Do others share this experience?

> and sometimes Tor won't start or stop properly on captive portals.

Please report a bug with WhisperBack about it.

> Also, various other security related concerns (dhclient, lack of
> grsec, etc) that cause me to do other hacky things.

What's the dhclient one, again? (You might have told us about it
already, but I don't remember the details.) It could be worth
improving things in Debian directly, or at least reporting a bug
there, as I doubt you're the only one affected by the problem you're
suggesting Tails has in this area ;)

Thanks for the feedback!