Re: [Tails-dev] Feedback wanted on planned implementation of…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Feedback wanted on planned implementation of Feature #5301 - Clone or Backup Persistent Volume
sajolida@??? wrote (04 Apr 2014 09:28:28 GMT) :
> I also thought about a loopback LUKS device in a file.

This addresses the "how to encrypt the backups" problem, but I don't
see how it addresses the "how to backup the files in the first place"
one. May you please elaborate what you have in mind?

> Cons:
> - Maybe backups done this way would be much bigger than duplicity backups.
> - duplicity supports incremental backups even if they have some limitations.

+ it's hard to correctly guess what size the container file should be.

> Pros:
> - duplicity backups are not in one file, and can be a bit messy on the
> file system.

Point taken.

> Another candidate could be obnam but I never tried it.

AFAIK, obnam only supports encrypting to a GnuPG key, so this would
require another layer of encryption (such as a LUKS container file, or
something else) if we want to support encrypting with a passphrase
(and I think we should).

> Would this be worth a Discuss or Research ticket in Redmine?

Sounds like it's probably worth a Research ticket + a blueprint.

Looking at how others have solved this problem would be great.