Re: [Tails-l10n] Newbe looking for help

Author: Nivatius
To: Tails localization discussion
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] Newbe looking for help
Am 04.04.2014 12:03, schrieb intrigeri:
> See https://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/translate/, and please
> report specifically what you find unclear: this kind of input would be
> invaluable for us!

Okay I'm a computer-enthusiast and willing to look into git a little,
but you really need to work something out that does not take 3h to set
up. (yes literally)

Thanks for the Link, but it is totally useless for my usecase.
I just want to know what I really really need to so I can start
translating. Most of that info is for coders.
Also the fact, that I need to clone several 100MB. not cool.

But let's start at the beginning:
https://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/translate/
a little crowded to many tools, but okay.
everything is fine and good until the "workflow" part:

>Set up your personal Git repository

<https://tails.boum.org/contribute/git/>: if you already know where to
host it in a public place, this is great; else, fork us on repo.or.cz
<http://repo.or.cz/w/tails.git> or ask the Tails system administrators
<https://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/translate/tails-sysadmins@boum.org>
to host your repository.

a total noob is scared away by now if not allready by the wall of text
above it. if he clicks the link "git repository" this appears:

" "Learn Git" on https://tails.boum.org/contribute/git/#index1h1 "

no step by step instructions of how to get the stuff up and running to
start translating, but reference to more resources. This page is okay
for the people that want to contribute code. But Do you really think
people are willing to spend that much time on learning git just for
translating? translating should be easy. Transifex seems like a good way
to go.

But this is what I hoped for.
>--------------------------------------------<

"https://tails.boum.org/contribute/translatingwithgit"

The Tails team uses a Program called git to work together. it makes sure
that several people can work on a file together at the same time.
Assuming you just want to help tranlsating this are the steps to get you
up and running.

We recommend using Linux for this.

First install git . (all mayor distros have it n the repository as "git")
then open a terminal and download the tails files (this is called cloning)

comand "git clone https://git-tails.immerda.ch/tails"

now you should have a folder called tails in your home directory.

[a lot of stuff missing]

install a po file editor...

how to upload your translations...

were are the po files?....

>--------------------------<

and so on, really easy and step by step.

I'm stuck at the part after cloning the repo. I have git, I have the
files, I found the files and started working with po-edit. now what?

PS: on on https://tails.boum.org/contribute/git/#index1h1 , the "for
4year olds" video doesn't explain the basics, the speaker says you
allready need to know what pushing cloning and so on are. so I think
it's missplaced there.

PPS: I think this here is a good example of how it should look:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/QuickStartGuide

all the best and sorry for being so harsh.