Re: [Tails-dev] Feedback wanted on planned implementation of…

Autore: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list, CustaiCo
Oggetto: Re: [Tails-dev] Feedback wanted on planned implementation of Feature #5301 - Clone or Backup Persistent Volume
Alan:
>>> Here the user should be prompted about where to save the backup.
>>> Because there might not be enough RAM on the computer to handle
>>> that, so they might prefer to write that file directly in some
>>> other place, like an external hard drive or USB stick.
>>
>> I was thinking about that, but the problem here is that it runs as
>> root, wouldn't a filechooser allow them to save to any abitrary
>> location they wanted?
>
> I would avoid running a GUI as root and rather running the GUI as
> amensia or a dedicated user and execute precise actions through
> policykit (execute a command with pkexec or implement a dbus service)

I think the current persistence setup uses a similar technique already,
so understand how this works will probably help you to design something
similar for the backup and restore stuff.

>>> Maybe that could go all together in another entry, say "Backup and
>>> restore persistent volume"?
>>
>> I was thinking two seperate items: Backup persistent volume and
>> Restore Persistent Volume. In fact, I was wondering if restore was
>> even going to be worth it considering how little it would be used
>> compared to backup. I would certainly hope one does very large number
>> of backups compared to restores.
>
> I think it's important to let non-techy users restore their backups if
> necessary.

Yes, you definitely need to propose a graphical way to restore. I was
suggesting to combine both in a single menu entry to make it clear there
were directly related, and to limit the number of menu entries, as I
agree with you that the restore will be less common than the backup.

--
sajolida