Re: [Tails-dev] Feedback wanted on planned implementation of…

Author: CustaiCo
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Feedback wanted on planned implementation of Feature #5301 - Clone or Backup Persistent Volume
On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 23:34:08 +0000
Alan <alan@???> wrote:

> > > Here the user should be prompted about where to save the backup.
> > > Because there might not be enough RAM on the computer to handle
> > > that, so they might prefer to write that file directly in some
> > > other place, like an external hard drive or USB stick.
> >
> > I was thinking about that, but the problem here is that it runs as
> > root, wouldn't a filechooser allow them to save to any abitrary
> > location they wanted?
>
> I would avoid running a GUI as root and rather running the GUI as
> amensia or a dedicated user and execute precise actions through
> policykit (execute a command with pkexec or implement a dbus service)

Ah, I was incorrectly thinking that it ran as root currently, looking
at it again, it appears that it runs as its own user. If I don't have
to worry about the gui being able to allow dumb actions, this should
not be a problem.

> > I'll admit to never having touched a line of
> > gtk2 in my life untill I started in on this, but the only way I saw
> > based on the documentation would be to fork the file picker dialog
> > box as the amnesia user to prevent them from picking something bad.
>
> Please write GTK3 for tails 1.1 which will be the next major release,
> based on debian wheezy.

I was hoping on integrating it as well as possible with the existing
persistence code. Wouldn't doing it with gtk3 be blocked by
https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/6424 (Port tails-persistence-setup
to Gtk3) ?