Re: [Tails-dev] Review of https://tails.boum.org/contribute/…

Nachricht löschen

Nachricht beantworten
Autor: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Betreff: Re: [Tails-dev] Review of https://tails.boum.org/contribute/index.en.html
Alster:
> intrigeri suggested I could review the "how to contribute to Tails
> infrastructure" page, and due to a misunderstanding I assumed he was
> referring to
>
> https://tails.boum.org/contribute/index.en.html
>
> and thus reviewed this page.

I think he was talking about this one:

https://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/sysadmin/

Which matches better your field of expertise :)

> * The "User" section could be renamed to "Contribute your Tails
> experience" and the "Donate" section could be renamed to "Contribute
> financially" to be in line with the other sections, though I admit this
> makes them somewhat cheesy.

I'll rename the "User" section as "Share your experience". So all the
title are sentence with a verb.

> * I suggest to replace the "designer" icon (which is currently identical
> with the "writer" icon) by one which is more closely related to visual
> arts, such as a palette or drawing board - if there is someone available
> to provide additional icons in the same style.

This one got fucked up when we converted SVG to PNG. I'll bring the
previous logo back, it's much better.

> * All the web links in this section work and point to pages which
> provide the information the links to them discuss. Several links point
> to the same page, and actually only discuss part of this page. Maybe
> anchored links could be used to directly point people to the matching
> content / section on these pages. But then anchors can change, so maybe
> that's why they are not being used here.

The only example I found from this is "Fix a bug" and "Implement a
feature" which both point to "Improve Tails source code". So I changed
that and put a single one "Word on the source code".

> B. Second part of the page (starting at the table of contents)
>
> * I _guess_ that this is actually the former version of this page, since
> it starts with a table of contents in the middle of a web page.

Well, it's a really stripped down version of the resources useful to
contributors, aside from everything which is already linked from the roles.

> * The information provided in this part of the page seems relevant to
> me, but I also think it clutters this page and should go to a separate
> page instead, which is then referred to by the pages the first part of
> this page points to, where it makes sense. For example, many (but not
> all) of the topics discussed here are primarily relevant to those who
> work on software (a designer may not need or want to know about how to
> build Debian packages - it may actually drive them away) - so these
> could be linked on https://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/code/

Agreed, some stuff in the rest of the page can probably be further
simplified. I identified the following items to be quite too specific to
be there, or at least they should be in a specific section or page
"Tools to work on the source code" or something:

- Merge policy
- Customize Tails: that page is too specific to be in the main index
- Debian package builder: same
- APT repository: same
- Improve Tails by working on Debian: that's already in a role

I could give that a try.

--
sajolida