Re: [Tails-dev] GSoC 2014 - Linphone Implementation ... ?

Author: intrigeri
To: carol3
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] GSoC 2014 - Linphone Implementation ... ?
Hi carol,

carol3@??? wrote (14 Mar 2014 12:37:03 GMT) :
> I am thinking to participate in the GCoS 2014.

Assuming you mean GSoC, I'm glad to hear this :)

Note that Tails is not participating to GSoC this year, but perhaps
someone at the Tor Project will be happy to mentor something close to
what you're suggesting here.

> In this context I thought it could be useful to get one step further
> with the voip topic on tails.

This would certainly be most welcome!

> My idea is to implement and extend linphone to get a possibilty of
> anomynous voice calls (e.g. with a button to register oneself
> automatically at ostel etc.).

You probbly mean pseudonymous, then, not anonymous, right?

> Also I am looking forward to test and fit the delays and codecs.

Indeed, testing this kind of stuff in the context of Tor-ified
connections seems very useful to me. Note that the Tor folks have
recently tested Mumble, and documented their findings:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorifyHOWTO/Mumble

> What do think about this idea?

It's unclear to me that Linphone can work in Tails without using
onioncat. Is your plan to use onioncat, or? More information can be
found there:

* https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/5709
* https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/VoIP_support/

Also, I have to say the situation regarding "what's the best VoIP
software for Tails?" is quite less clear now than it was a few years
ago, as the landscape has changed a bit:

  * the Tor folks have been experimenting with Mumble (which arguably
    is not meant for P2P VoIP, but perhaps this can be fixed with
    OnionCat)
  * Jitsi entered Debian (it was previously discarded from our panel,
    due to the difficulty of packaging it properly, but this was
    apparently dealt with since then)
  * much energy has been put in WebRTC, that likely won't work over
    Tor any time soon

Do you think Linphone is a better bet for Tails than Jitsi?
If so, I'd be delighted to learn why :)

> What do you think about the implicit influence interference of
> projects by google (also with GSoC)? For example the google partnership
> with mozilla has the result that firefox phone depends more and more on
> parts of android.

The influence on... what exactly? :)

> And: Why you open the bluetooth device on tails? What is the reason?

Tails is a general purpose OS, and people happen to have bluetooth
hardware they want to use.

> I think it is a problem in a view of security. Similar to the
> mac-address it can identify people (e.g. at least by fhs-packets in the
> discoverable modus).

Last time I checked, we did not ship the bluez stack. Knowing this,
does the problem you're evoking here apply to Tails? E.g. is this
identifying info broadcasted in current Tails?

> Sorry for my English – it's not the best.

Your English is Good Enough™ to enable us to communicate,
no worries :)

Regards,