[Tails-dev] Please review'n'merge feature/better-iso-cleanup…

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] Please review'n'merge feature/better-iso-cleanup (#6425)
Hi,

preamble: I'd like to see this in Tails 0.23, since this will be the
first release when most users see incremental upgrades in action, and
it would be good for them if the IUK download time was a bit shorter.

I'm now running most of our automated test suite against this ISO,
in the hope it increases chances to see this branch merged in time.

feature/better-iso-cleanup makes our ISOs and IUKs smaller in various
ways:

  * Set mtime to the epoch for large files whose content generally
    does not change. This forces rsync to consider the actual content
    of these files, when preparing an IUK, instead of blindly adding
    it to the IUK merely because the mtime has changed, while the
    content is (generally) the same. That's #6425.
  * Exclude more icon theme caches from the ISO (we already did so for
    one icon theme, why not do it for all and save some space on the
    ISO; besides, these large files see their auto-generated content
    changing at every build, so they needlessly increase the size of
    our IUKs)
  * Use the SquashFS exclusion rules instead of deleting files in
    a hook. It seemed cleaner to me to do this in a higher-level way.
  * Truncate log files after the last APT run.
    Else, dpkg and APT logs are not empty in the ISO.
  * Remove *.pyc *after* 99-dedup_usr_share_doc.
    99-dedup_usr_share_doc runs `hardlink', that is written in Python,
    so this might create pyc files that were previously removed if we
    did it in the other way.

Additionally, I've included some trivial build hook cleanups and
consistency improvement (mostly in the logging area).

The resulting ISO is 8MB smaller, and I've seen a 9% size decrease on
a IUK.