Re: [Tails-dev] Activating multimarkdown

Nachricht löschen

Nachricht beantworten
Autor: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Betreff: Re: [Tails-dev] Activating multimarkdown
sajolida@??? wrote (02 Mar 2014 18:20:49 GMT) :
> In the process of polishing the MAC address spoofing documentation, I
> felt like adding a footnote. This is only possible if we enable
> multimarkdown in ikiwiki, which is not the case so far.

> I think that might be useful in the future, you can add footnote, layout
> fancy tables, etc.

> Shall I do that, or do you have any counter indication?

IIRC there was a blocker last time I thought of this years ago,
but I cannot remember what it is :(

Assuming our current website source builds fine with MultiMarkdown,
then the only problem I can see with it is that it isolates us with
some specialized Markdown syntax, and e.g. we won't be able to use
Pandoc or other tools that support regular Markdown. Not that I can
find of plausible short-term use cases for that, though.

But there's a more serious issue: ikiwiki seems to be using the oldish
Perl implementation of MultiMarkdown, which upstream has moved away
from a while ago: no release nor upload to Debian since 2011.

No idea how fast and robust that implementation of MultiMarkdown is,
compared e.g. to the super-fast "Discount" implementation of Markdown
we're currently using IIRC.

I'm not convinced, but I'll let you weight the pros and cons.