Re: [Tails-dev] Made New Identity work again, please review

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Made New Identity work again, please review
Hi,

winterfairy@??? wrote (27 Feb 2014 14:58:11 GMT) :
> anonym wrote:
>> As a side note, I suppose it'd be nice to use stem [1] to greatly
>> simplify the script and in particular avoid the low-level socket
>> stuff

Fully agreed. This refactoring would be worth a low-priority ticket,
IMHO: if properly documented, this would be a good "Easy" coding task
for new contributors :)

>> but it's not packaged in Debian. :/

It is:

 python-stem | 1.1.0-1 | jessie | source, all
 python-stem | 1.1.0-1 | sid    | source, all

Want to request a backport for Wheezy, so that we can use it in 1.1+?

(In any case, I doubt it's worth backporting it for Squeeze *now*, so
the low-priority refactoring ticket, if any, should be blocked by
#6015.)

> I am not familiar with Stem, so I cannot tell. But I think it might only
> help with the talking to a control port stuff, not simulating our own
> control port stuff.

Sure. It still would be an interesting improvement, though.