Re: [Freepto] Initial comments

Author: intrigeri
To: Everything about freepto
Subject: Re: [Freepto] Initial comments
Hi,

boyska wrote (26 Feb 2014 13:26:04 GMT) :
>> 4. I could find no source packages on http://deb.freepto.mx/freepto/

> uh, I never truly understood debian packages: why should we put source
> packages on the repository?

So that anyone can build open your work, or contribute to it, by
modifying the source code and building a new Debian package :)

... and if there are any binary packages with compiled code in there:
to comply with the various involved free software licenses.

>> 5. I've found quite some shell scripts with very little error
>>    checking, if at all; maybe use "set -e" in this case?

> can you give us an example?

* config/includes.chroot/usr/bin/makefreepto
* tortp: install.sh and files/tortp

>> 7. It is unclear what the fabric thing is for exactly, and how to use
>>    it (e.g. is dotdeb.org really needed to set up a Freepto build
>>    environment?), but I might have missed the relevant documentation.

> Mh, are you talking about
> https://github.com/boyska/freepto-buildtools/blob/master/fabric/fabfile.py
> ?

Yes.

> It's just a fabfile that will install all you need to compile freepto.
> The goal was to also install utility scripts and configure utilities,
> but this other things never got implemented

OK.

Just curious: why is dotdeb.org needed, then? (I suspect there might
be some improvements that would be worth upstreaming to
Debian, perhaps.)

>> 12. I suggest installing spice-vdagent and the qxl xorg video driver,
>>     for better user experience when run in a libvirt/qemu environment.

> will consider, but my experience with qemu is really good at the moment.

Mine was not so bad, but still lacking some features that some may
find important in 2014, and that Spice adds, e.g. USB devices hotplug,
sound, adapting the guest's resolution to the window size, clipboard
sharing and accelerated graphics (QXL).

More info about it can be found at http://www.spice-space.org/.

>> 15. Any particular reason to run MiniSSDPd?

> It is recommended by transmission, but I don't think it is really useful.
> BTW, is there a simple way to not install recommends for just some packages?
> I considered patching livebuild somehow, but then I got lazy ;)

See the --apt-recommends option in lb_config(1). Or just set
a negative APT pinning for the package you don't want to install.
ers,
Ch