[Tails-dev] Redirecting users to ~/.xsession-errors for deta…

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] Redirecting users to ~/.xsession-errors for details of Upgrader errors?
Hi,

in the past of the Tails Upgrader development, the mob has
consistently asked that the technical details of errors was hidden by
default. I insisted that it was displayed at least for a while, since
such errors should be reported as a bug. That's #6505 on Redmine.

The initial plan was to hide it by default in 0.23, and have
a expandable area and a "Show technical details" button or similar.

I have a problem with that: it would force me to write a zenity-like
program from scratch, with an additional option for stuff that should
go into the expandable area (I don't do C, so I won't improve zenity).
This feels overkill to me, and I'm sure we can find better use of
my time.

How about just hiding these technical details, and point the user to
~/.xsession-errors (where it already lands anyway) if they really want
it? Given the consensus there was about hiding these details, and
given they generally cannot be acted upon by the user anyway, this
seems acceptable to me.

Instead of displaying:

         "<b>Debugging information</b>\n".
         "<i>exit code</i>: %{exit_code}i\n\n".
         "<i>stdout:</i>\n%{stdout}s\n\n".
         "<i>stderr:</i>\n%{stderr}s"

We could write:

         "For debugging information, see ~/.xsession-errors."

I'm doing this in Git right now, and this will be my resolution of
#6505 unless I'm explained why I should spend way more time on it :)