Re: [Tails-dev] Risks of enabled/disabled TCP timestamps?

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Risks of enabled/disabled TCP timestamps?
Patrick Schleizer wrote (16 Feb 2014 18:44:07 GMT) :
> TCP timestamps are created using the systems clock, is that correct?

That's also my understanding.

> Would it make sense to,
> - when Tails starts: save system clock
> - before Tor starts: randomize system clock (+/- a random amount of
> milliseconds [and seconds?])
> - when Tails is shut down: undo system clock randomization
> ?

> That should at least prevent linkage between Tails and non-Tails sessions?

... but it would not prevent linkability between different actions
done in a single Tails session. More generally, I doubt it's worth
working on this before $someone has tried running Tails with TCP
timestamps disabled, since it would be a trivial way to solve all this
and more.